Monday, 29 May 2017

Another Comic signing

Forbidden Planet - Saturday 27th May 2017

179 Shaftesbury Ave, London WC2H 8JR

Today was the turn of 2000AD and Judge Dredd Megazine stalwart, Judge Anderson. This comic details what happens to Cassandra after the events portrayed in the 2012 movie Dredd. Rebellion have released several of these follow on titles now but this is the first one I have bought on release and at a signing. I have met Alec Morley on previous 2000AD signing occasions, so it was good to see him again. I grabbed a couple of each variant of the comic and got them signed. It would have been nice if the artist was there too. Simon Davies, the Slaine artist was there but I could not afford the graphic novels on offer which he illustrated (perhaps when I am back in employment?).

These signings only come along two or three times a year, so I make sure I have a good day when I go to one by indulging in as many of my hobbies at one time as I can. This event was no different; I arrived at the signing in readiness for the 1pm start time. After I had indulged in a little bit of fanboy behaviour, it was onto the beer and then some food.

Pillars of Hercules
7 Greek Street, Soho, London W1D 4DF
After the signing I had a few hours to kill until MB arrived. I popped into the usual haunt I now use to unwind after a long afternoon of queuing. There were the usual four or five beers on offer, but I stuck to just the one this afternoon as I had tried all on offer on several occasions previously.

Grasshopper (3.8%) - Westerham Brewery, Westerham, Kent - a dark, malty session bitter


The Golden Lion

51 Dean Street, Soho, London W1D 5BH
After finishing my beers and comics (as well as finishing a book of Cthulhu Wars short stories that had been hanging around on my Kindle for several weeks) I decided to stretch my legs and see if I could get to see the rugby results. I found just the pub but I only got to see the final few minutes of extra time; unfortunately, Wasps (the team I support) were beaten at the end of the session by a last minute penalty. Ho hum. I stayed in the pub supping an ale and watching the world go by until MB arrived.

Bow Bells (4.2%) - Truman Brewery, Hackney, East London  - an orange and lemon infused pale ale

Truman's Brewery was one of those that closed down a few years ago when ale drinking went out of fashion to lager. The brewery was founded in 1666 and brewed until 1989. Luckily for us, the current owners re-opened the site and began brewing again in 2010.

MB met me in The Golden Lion just as I finished my drink, so we headed straight out to grab something to eat as it was now gone 7pm. We visited a burger bar recommended to me a while back by an Aussie friend - in his opinion, the best chain restaurant burgers in London are to be found here...

Honest Burgers, Soho

4a Meard Street London W1F 0EF
This restaurant gets an honorary mention due to the fact it sources at least one beer on its menu from a local microbrewery. Honest Burgers literally sell half-a dozen burgers, a few sides and a few choices of drink - that's it. MB and I indulged in their local brewery ale. It would have been rude not to!

St. Reatham (4.6%) - Inkspot Brewery, Streatham, London - a refreshing Munich style lager


Crobar
17 Manette St, Soho, London W1D 4AS

So, today ended up being a great day of indulgence. I managed to get to a couple of pubs again, culminating in a trip to rockers' paradise The Crobar. I also managed to get to a new (for me anyway) burger joint foir my evening meal and also, not mentioned above, a trip to the rudest Chinese restaurant in town - Wong Kei - for my lunch (before I hit the pubs). I used to go here a lot with my friend GW to line our stomachs before heading to rock bars back in the 80s and 90s. We always had a won-ton soup, followed by beef fried noodles washed down with jasmine tea. Today, though, my appetite was not so great so I just had the noodles and tea. Unfortunately, maybe because it was relativelty quiet in the restaurant, I was not subjected to being rushed or any rude behaviour, which was a shame as that is part of the restaurant's charm. I remember on occasion turning up when the place was heaving and having to split the party over three floors of the restaurant! I also recall an American tourist trying to impress his new girlfriend who ended up being chased out by a meat cleaver-wielding chef. His crime?  Not ordering quickly enough!

Anyway, back to the Crobar; their choice of ales is rather limited (to bottles and cans only) and as I have mentioned this place on several previous occasions I won't go into much detail except to say that one of their wall murals has changed in the few weeks since I last went. It was not very busy in here tonight though, perhaps due to the Iron Maiden concert on in London this evening?

Trooper Ale (4.7%) - Robinsons Brewery, Stockport, Cheshire - a deep coloured malty bitter

No comments:

Post a Comment