Tuesday, 9 May 2017

Free Comic Book Day 2017

FCBD - Saturday 6th May 2017

I am beginning to enjoy the fact that many of my hobbies can be combined. I can play games whilst having a few beers at the local RPG club, I can visit a variety of pubs when on a day out to a comic festival, and even have a beer whilst running the Harvell 5 Mile run!

Today was the turn of comics and beer. Free Comic Book Day was great again this year as I was able to pick up 22 new comics to try this year, and even managed to get the rarer of the two Doctor Who variants signed by the Artist and writer. I was unable to get to the 2000AD signing as time and alcohol were agaist me.

Unfortunately, this time, MB was unable to meet me after the comic shop visits for the usual burger and a few pints. I decided I would carry on regardless and not let the side down by visiting our usual haunts, but I also managed to slip in one that I have not been into since the days of going to The Marquee music venue in Wardour Street.

Back in the day, my usual Friday or Saturday night out to see a band play at the Marquee would often begin with a few pints in The Ship. This pub is where the bands would usually drink pre-gig, which no-one else in the crowd seemed to cotton onto back in the day as everyone on the heavy rock scene drank in the Intrepid Fox before the gigs. This meant that I met many a rock star before they got too tipsy to perform on stage. Those were the days. Afterwards, I would then join the rock crowd at the Intrepid Fox before venturing onto one of the many (now all sadly gone) rock club venues in central London.

Pillars of Hercules
7 Greek Street, Soho, London W1D 4DF
I only nipped in here for a swift one between two comic shop visits. I had lunch at a burger joint locally to soak up some of the beer and then carried on with my FCBD mission. I also noticed on my travels, a burger bar recommended to me by an ex work colleague - Honest Burgers in Meare Street - which I will visit very soon as he said that this was, in his opinion, the best burger joint in London.

Beers drunk on this visit:

1) Cornish Coaster (3.6%) - Sharp's Brewery, Rock, Cornwall - a slightly earthy bitter
The Ship
116 Wardour St, Soho, London W1F 0TT
As mentioned above, this was a bit of a nostalgia trip for me. I sat quietly at the bar reading my Kindle whilst watching the world go around. The pub still seems to attract those on the alternative music scene judging by the music on the CD player and the patrons who visited today.

Beers drunk on this visit : 
1) Southern Star (4.0%) - Fuller's Brewery, Chiswick, London - a golden spring ale brewed with Australian hops


Crobar
17 Manette Street, Soho, London W1D 4AS
As I was on my own today, I didn't feel as though I could stay in here too long this evening and prevent others from grabbing a seat for their evening out as it filled up rather rapidly after 5:30pm. I passed a leisurely hour or so supping a fine bottled ale whilst listening to some great music from the past - a young lad put on several Ronnie James Dio tracks, which prompted me to load a few of his albums onto my i-pad when I got home later that night.

Beers drunk on this visit:
1) Trooper Ale (4.7%) - Robinson's Brewery, Stockport, Cheshire - a deep golden ale with citrus and malt overtones

No comments:

Post a Comment